Chief People Officer & Vice President, Communications
Who we are?
We’re one of the country’s leading Canadian REITs and, importantly, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
Reporting to the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief People Officer and Vice President Communications is a member of Crombie REIT’s Executive Team. The Chief People Officer and VP, Communications provides leadership and counsel to translate our strategy and its real estate and financial priorities into talent priorities and objectives, as well as proactive internal and external communications and marketing strategies.
Duties of the Chief People Officer & Vice President, Communications include:
- Provides strategic advice and counsel to the CEO and Executive team on all things People and Culture at Crombie. Provides communications and marketing advice and strategies to all departments in the organization.
- Collaborates with and influences senior management to implement integrated people strategies that ensure a sustainable high-performing workforce.
- Leads an experienced HR team and provides strategic leadership to the full employee life cycle, developing and implementing a comprehensive strategic approach to people at Crombie REIT, overseeing all aspects of the HR/Talent function and ensuring alignment with overall business objectives.
- Enables the growth of NOI, FFO, AFFO and NAV by acting as a full business partner and implementing talent, communications and marketing strategies and programs to build business value.
- Acts as advisor on people, culture, and diversity issues and priorities, focused on strategies to maximize organizational effectiveness and performance accountability.
- Ensures talent and succession planning are built for long-term successful execution of the business strategy, increasing available talent at all levels through leadership development and a variety of experiences, while reducing current and future risk.
- Proactively assesses ongoing talent needs and implements measures to increase results while maintaining affordability.
- Manages the estimated $30M salary and benefits budget as well as plans the budgetary required changes on an annual basis.
- Acts as the principal point of contact for the Human Resources Committee of the Board of Trustees, and works collaboratively with the Chair, the Committee, and the Committee’s independent advisors to set forward agendas and complete analyses, ensuring the mandate of the Committee and the Board is met and appropriate disclosures are made.
- Oversees internal and external communications and marketing, including focused attention on up-to-date information, media lines and marketing materials for the various projects in the public domain or subject to public or media interest (e.g. planning meetings, high profile leasing, major development projects).
- Oversees media relations activities and development of compelling and relevant messaging and stories, consistent and aligned with corporate goals and objectives.
- Oversees the development of the Annual Report and takes lead responsibility for the Compensation Discussion & Analysis section of the Annual Management Information Circular.
- Attends public meetings to gauge public response to Crombie’s projects and ensures supportive information is developed and refined to maintain a positive corporate reputation.
- Takes a hands-on role in organizing internal communications, engagement materials and activities aimed at embedding strategy and strengthening culture within the organization.
- Oversees the maintenance and continued development of Crombie’s online presence.
- Oversees and ensures a strong national corporate identity and consistent, best-in-class brand standards for all aspects of the business.
The successful candidate will have:
Our ideal candidate would have a minimum of ten years progressive leadership experience in HR, Talent and/or Communications functions and Master’s Degree in business administration, organizational development, industrial/organizational psychology, human resources, communications, learning and development, or a related discipline. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership experience in strategy and business planning, and in recognizing and developing high performing teams and contributors; experience in Board governance relating to talent management, succession planning, and compensation; a good understanding of the commercial real estate industry, capital markets, market drivers and economic trends; an ability to develop and maintain relationships internally and externally; and the ability to lead a team in an entrepreneurial environment.
Headquartered in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia – Crombie has been consistently recognized as one of Atlantic Canada’s Top Employers. Crombie offers flexible work schedules and location, corporate discount rates and a fast-paced working environment.
All applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter:
Subject: Chief People Officer & Vice President, Communications
Crombie REIT thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.