Who we are
We are one of the country’s leading Canadian REITs and, importantly, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
The Director, Construction leads and manages Crombie’s construction projects including new developments, tenant improvements, capital projects and mixed-use re-developments across Crombie’s Western Canada Portfolio.
Additional duties of the Director, Construction include but are not limited to:
- Partners with senior leadership to help develop strategic, long-term plans for the organization, supporting the implementation of the construction and development strategy as it relates to construction planning, budgeting, value-added costing, material sourcing and estimating.
- Supervises JV partner construction planning and execution including auditing and monitoring budgets and construction draws in conjunction with a QS and other professional consultants to protect Crombie’s interests.
- Provides high level operational supervision on the current and future portfolio of properties, including multiple new and renovation construction projects within the Western Canada portfolio.
- Manages and directs all Western construction and development projects up to and including project completion
- Ensures the timely preparation/distribution of construction reporting requirements, providing updates to the relevant stakeholders as required.
- Prepares cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals for the duration of the project.
- Leads the communication of information during the design and construction of a project between design/construction team members, internal departments, and various stakeholders involved in each project.
- Assists with the review of consultant drawings to ensure errors and/or omissions are addressed prior to construction commencement.
- Collaborates with the Job Costing Analyst to provide pricing, budgeting, and Cost Control Forms for TIs, CAPEX, LUIs, Development Projects, and feedback on mixed-use budgeting.
- Works collaboratively with Leasing, Development, and Property Management departments in costing, preparation of tenders, awarding of work, and execution of TIs, CAPEX, LUIs, and Development projects.
- Provides input and assistance with contract negotiation and effective utilization of Quantity Surveyors and other professionals and tracks committed costs throughout the duration of each project.
- Completes consistent and regular onsite inspections to ensure all projects and contractors meet federal, provincial and municipal codes, health and safety standards.
- Leads and collaborates between departments to ensure alignment on regional and national initiatives.
- Ensures excellent tenant relations by providing excellent management service through knowledge, practice, and exceptional customer service.
- Partners with Development on pre-planning and cost benefit analysis for all phases of work.
- Monitors, delegates, and evaluates workload and projects against department capabilities.
- Additional special projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of seven years of experience in similar role, with a strong background in Retail CRU buildings, mixed-use Retail/Residential and Industrial Warehousing developments. Candidates must demonstrate a strong knowledge around design management, major general contracting and/or construction project management in addition to a PEng and/or PMP Certification. The successful candidate must be able to manage concurrent projects and meet fast-paced deadlines, in addition to being a self-starter who can develop and build relationships internally and externally as well as maintain confidential information.
Headquartered in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, we hire people across the country who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Crombie offers flexible work schedules and location, corporate discount rates and a fast-paced working environment.
All applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Subject: Director, Construction-Calgary