Who we are
We are one of the country’s leading Canadian REIT’s and, importantly, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Crombie Operations team in the role of Property Manager. Based out of our Burlington Office, this role supports the day to day operations to a group of properties east of Burlington, including the Oshawa and Peterborough area. The successful candidate will work collaboratively and effectively communicate with all key stakeholder groups (tenants, contractors, legal and financial representatives, and internal departments), to understand business objectives, build relationships and align with improvement/ investment strategy for the portfolio for both commercial and residential properties. Additional duties of the Property Manager role include but are not limited to:
- Assists in the strategic positioning of assets with a focus on revenue growth.
- Demonstrates a sound understanding and working knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act and/or Condominium Property Act, in addition to ensuring all properties within the Crombie portfolio meet federal, provincial and municipal codes, health and safety standards.
- Prepares and operates within annual operating budgets and capital budgets; creates annual budget revenue projections.
- Monitors expenses on a monthly basis, reviewing actual performance against budget and conducting a monthly variance analysis to determine reasons for variance and recommend solutions to address the situation and ensure expenditures remain within prescribed budgets.
- Stays current with Accounts Receivable and other issues with tenants and supports the collection of tenant receivables when initial efforts by Accounts Receivable department are not successful.
- Liaises with Leasing Administrator and Leasing Manager to ensure budgeted leasing projections are received and reviews monthly client listings and rent rolls to ensure accuracy of information.
- Ensures tenant billings and year-end adjustments are correct and conform to the lease. Administers leases to ensure all requirements are maintained, including insurance, percentage rent, monthly and annual client sales, and annual sales audits.
- Tenders, selects and assists with the supervision of service contracts in accordance with Crombie policies and procedures.
- Completes consistent and regular onsite property inspections to ensure high standard of operation and appearance at all times.
- Implements preventative maintenance programs for both residential and commercial properties in areas such as, but not limited to, marketing, energy management, environmental management, waste management, landscaping, pest control, property security, snow removal, parking lot and roof maintenance and rehabilitation, life safety systems, cleaning operations, client coordination, and Occupational Health & Safety to ensure cost effective facility management in compliance with all relevant legislation.
- Anticipates and responds to all operational issues, as well as short and long term organizational and tenant needs (e.g., directing maintenance personnel, tenant coordination, accounts receivable, accounts payable, negotiating service contracts, reviewing and summarizing commercial leases).
- Actively supports leasing and construction initiatives that will create value for the portfolio and lease up vacant space.
- Analyzes, monitors, and controls the quality of operational service for the portfolio, while ensuring excellent tenant relations.
- Develops and implements tenant retention plan, managing tenant requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Oversees annual tenant surveys, ensuring distribution, follow up, planning and resolution to the satisfaction of the tenant.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the properties within portfolio from the lease through to operation of each tenant, and maintenance ongoing, required or planned.
The successful candidate will have:
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of property operations experience in a professional environment in addition to post-secondary education in Business or an equivalent combination of education and related experience. With preference shown to those who have both commercial and residential property management experience. The successful candidate must be customer focused with exceptional organizational skills and a high attention to detail. In addition to being a self-starter who can develop and build relationships internally and externally as well as the ability to maintain confidential information. Prior experience with YARDI Voyager is considered an asset.
Headquartered in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, we hire people across the country who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Crombie offers flexible work schedules and location, corporate discount rates and a fast-paced working environment.
All applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Subject: Property Manager